If you’re a foodie and haven’t heard of Chronicle Books then it’s time to do some reasearch. Chronicle made my shortlist of dream jobs because of their exquisite cookbook list and amazing design aesthetic. Many of their cookbooks are from popular bakeries such as Flour or Tartine or have content that started on blogs like Cake Pops by Bakerella.
Chronicle’s books are a beautiful amalgamation of local food and web-based delights with gorgeous and distinctive designs that regularly end up in my bookshelf and in my kitchen. They also publish a wide variety of international and just plain quirky cookbooks (like Handheld Pies) that are fun and approachable. As if I needed more reasoning to love Chronicle, they have an excellent environmental policy that extends from their building to their books.
Speaking of their building, in a happy accident, I stumbled into the Chronicle lobby thinking it was a bookstore (and you can buy books there–my bag was twice as heavy when I left) and it was beautiful. Steps away from where the Giants play their home games and the water, the glass fronted building houses both the book and magazine departments.
To end my little love letter I’ll share some of my favorite Chronicle Cookbooks with you and those on my wish list.
The best of the best:
- Flour Bakery Cookbook– I love flour bakery and this cookbook has been great for delicious baking. I especially love the vegan chocolate cake.
- Tartine Bakery Cookbook– After visiting Tartine I couldn’t resist taking their amazing pastry recipes home with me.
- San Francisco Ferry Plaza Farmer’s Market Cookbook– This has a nifty chart showing what produce is in season and when and delicious recipes!
- Cake Pops– Yes I am repeating myself. But I made red velvet cake pop bon bons once for a family function and now my father asks for them every time I’m home.
- The First Real Kitchen Cookbook– Because I remember what it was like to start cooking and how absolutely daunting it was to watch people eat those first few dishes thinking please let it be good!
- Perfect Pops– See a few recipes from this summer treat cookbook on Chronicle’s blog.
- Plenty– I’ve heard people just rave about Plenty and I personally can’t wait to get my hands on it.
- Newlywed cookbook– I plan on getting this as an engagement gift for my one of my best friends. SHHH! Don’t tell!
- The American Cocktail– Because I’m sure I’d be a hit at every gathering after perusing its pages.
- The Big Book of Breakfast– After all, breakfast is the most important meal of the day and I’ll embrace any excuse to eat potatoes or pancakes.
And If you feel eclectic you can always purchase the True Blood Cookbook Or the Star Wars Cookbooks. Remember this is only a fraction of their list so take a look at their website and find your favorite book. In short, Chronicle is a unique, quirky and environmentally friendly company that seems to keep life interesting. In the kitchen and out.